Some typical technical interview practices can be harmful and get in the way of hiring great people. April Wensel offers advice to help fix the technical interview process.
- hire for mindset and attitude
- look for empathy and mentorship skills
- allow candidates to show their strengths instead of hunting for weaknesses
- have the candidate leave feeling good about themselves and your company, regardless of the hiring decision
Some topics discussed:
- interview questions to bring out stories of skills and successes
- stereotype threat
- interview hazing
- white boards
- coding challenges
- unconscious bias
- emotional intelligence
- myth of talent shortage
- pair programming and collaboration during interviews
- cultural add vs cultural fit
This episode is important for anyone going into a technical interview, as a candidate, as a hiring manager, or as a member of an interview team.
Special Guest: April Wensel.
- Patreon Supporters: Help support the show with as little as $1 per month and be the first to know when new episodes come out.